Noom Weight Loss Coach review

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Looking for a review of Noom Pro? Click here!

Apologies for the delay in starting my fitness app series, but better late than never!


Noom was the very first fitness app I ever downloaded last year. Since then the app has developed leaps and bounds and I feel like my old review really doesn't do it any justice!

There's no escaping the fact that I'm a graphic designer and I want my apps to be aesthetically pleasing. On top of that something that stands out from the crowd makes me feel very tingly, and Noom really has succeeded with that. The vibrant green and purple colour theme is fresh and bright without it being too overbearing on the eyes.


The setup is very simple, the app asks you some basic health related questions and does all the nutritional and activity calculations based on it. It also gives you a BMI reading for your target weight, so do make sure you give the app accurate measurements!



The thing that bothered me the most with the app a year ago was the fact that it didn't have an accurate calorie tracker. You could only pick approximate sizes (tennis ball, soft ball, golf ball, handful..) when adding your meals in and it really made me feel like I'm eating too much or way too little. On top of that it's quite hard to try and imagine the sizes when you're looking at your meal - and in my cases I'd usually track my meal after I finished eating so trying to guess it all was a bit difficult.

And it was such a nice surprise to find a good and accurate tracker! You can still swap to the simple tracker if you want to but I do strongly recommend this one. They currently only list UK, US and Australian supermarket foods in their tracker but it's a good start! You also get to pick exactly how much food you had, making it easier to stay on track of everything you've had during the day.

The tracker also has a barcode scanner!


On top of just being a food tracker, Noom gives you interesting articles to read and tasks to complete during the day. They are a bit limited, as some of the articles are premium features you can subscribe to. I never tried the pro- feature but I was really tempted. The only thing that stopped me from trying it out was the fact that I was poor back then, hah!

The articles are really useful for people who are only starting on their weight loss journey. It can be very overwhelming trying to browse through hundreds of internet articles in order to try and find some information about nutrition and exercise, but Noom does it all for you. I think it's good for beginners to focus their source of information in one place, as different studies and professionals have completely opposite views of what's good and what's bad exercise and diet wise. Noom provides the user with the very staple information about healthy living and as the user gets more comfortable with it all they can expand their knowledge as they go on.

Noom has plenty of different features to keep you going. The most important thing for me by far is the logbook - it gives you the vital details of your progress on one handy page. For peer support you also have access to Noom's forums through the app so you really get the feeling that you're not alone on your journey.


On top of being a calorie tracker Noom also lets you fill in your workouts. You can simply use it to track your workouts as you go or actually plan it all ahead with reminders. I believe that planning your workouts in advance will really help you stick to them and with the app actually reminding you to get on with it will give you that extra boost of motivation. 


Since first reviewing the app I am positively surprised about all the changes. The app has more features and looks far more pleasing to the eye than it did a year ago. I'm still very curious about all the premium features Noom offers, but as I've still got nine apps to test I better not go too mad. ;)

Noom is available for iPhone and Android.

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an app I am looking for. Will give a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the review useful! Noom is quite a handy app. :)

      Delete
  3. I love noom its the best weight los app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written article! I actually came to this blog hoping you would talk about the pro version because I want to know if it is worth the extra $$. I agree with everything you say. I will have to check out your other blogs. Thanks for a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm actually in the process of testing the Pro version of the app as we speak! :) After some brief exploring I do feel it's worth the money, as you get access to Noom groups, a fantastic feature that let's you chat with other Noomers and support each other!

      Delete
  5. I'm trying to input 30 day shred workout calories but no idea what to equate it to . Can u help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Noom. I have just started using the free version after trying MyFitnessPal for a while and prefer Noom so far, with some reservations. It's likely to encourage me to eat more veg which can't hurt. It could be better about the barcode recognition and database for UK foods - I just tried Sainsburys turkey mince for example and it doesn't recognise it. On the other hand, the exercise logging for stationary bike seems way more realistic than Runkeeper which I was previously using with MFP, and as I eat out some of the time it helps me to have units of measurement for guesstimation.

    ReplyDelete